Couples Counseling can be extremely helpful when when couples and/or partners are having problems with communication, conflict, neglect, and loneliness that threaten the happiness of the relationship. Counseling can also be very helpful when symptoms of these problems are starting to surface. The questions below are often indications that couples counseling would be helpful:
- I struggle to put what I want and how I feel into words. How can I learn the right communication skills?
- I am so tired of not feeling heard or understood. How can we improve couples listening skills?
- When it comes to conflict, it seems like all I want to do is talk about it and all my parnter wants to is avoid it. On certain subjects I would rather avoid it and my partner wants to talk about it. How do we change this pattern?
- We love each other but our backgrounds are so different. How do we find common ground?
- Sometimes I feel so distant from my partner. How can we get that feeling of closeness back?
- Our sex drives are completely different and seem to be on opposing schedules. How can we bring them together?
- We often have bad fights where issues get worse rather than better. Is this fixable?
- How am I supposed to have enough time and energy for my partner with all of my other responsibilities?
- We seem happy but our future seems uncertain. How do I know if I want to make a lifetime commitment?
- Issues of jealousy and tension arise when spending time outside of the relationship (friends, family, etc.). How can we build greater trust in our relationship?
- Our achilles heel is money. For the good of our relationship, when is it right to spend and when is it right to save?
- I thought I got over the affair but I still feel so angry. How am I supposed to believe in what he/she is telling me?
Couples Counseling can help to identify dysfunctional relationship patterns that contribute to these problems, uncover and heal wounds underneath these problems, construct healthy and functional relational behaviors, build communication and conflict management skills, and improve relationship functioning while interrupting dysfunctional patterns. Contact us to start counseling to improve your couples skills and satisfaction.